3BL Media acquires UK-based CSR publisher of Ethical Performance
3BL Media, LLC, a corporate communications platform exclusively dedicated to the distribution of corporate social responsibility (CSR) and sustainability news and content, has acquired Dunstans Publishing Limited, the UK-based leading sustainability reporting service and publisher of the Ethical Performance newsletter and website.
The transaction, which expands the range of CSR and sustainability communications services within the 3BL Media group, is the company’s fourth acquisition since 2011. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
“As corporations place more emphasis on reporting their environmental, social and governance (ESG) goals and achievements, trusted sources of news and analysis like Ethical Performance play an increasingly critical role keeping stakeholders informed,” said Greg Schneider, ceo and co-founder of 3BL Media. “This acquisition extends 3BL Media’s existing distribution network in the UK and Europe while providing Ethical Performance clients access to a broader menu of services to tell their CSR and sustainability stories to industry thought leaders, media, consumers and decision makers across the world.”
Founded in 1999 by pioneering environmental journalist and entrepreneur Alistair Townley, in Canterbury, England, Ethical Performance produces a portfolio of online, mobile, email and print publications and services for CSR and socially responsible investment (SRI) professionals:
- The Ethical Performance newsletter, a subscription-based monthly briefing for senior executives, is read by CSR and SRI personnel in large companies and investing institutions in the UK, Europe and the rest of the world.
- The company’s flagship stakeholder communications service provides reporting companies with an efficient and effective way to publicize their CSR and sustainability reporting.
- Best Practice, a quarterly magazine, compiles a collection of exemplary CR and sustainability programs, presented in case study format for a global CSR audience. Distributed to key opinion formers and decision makers, its focus is on new initiatives and innovative strategies from cross sector global businesses.
- The free Ethical Performance eNewsletter is sent out weekly (news), bi-weekly (vacancies), monthly (issue alert, events) and immediately on release of new CR reports (report alerts).
- Ethicalperformance.com and its mobile platform are updated daily.
- The CSR Professional Services Directory, available since 2005, is a fully searchable online directory.
Ethical Performance’s client roster includes FTSE, RBS, Tate & Lyle, BAE Systems, UNICEF, Unilever, Vodafone, Mattel and Aviva.
The executive team that has been leading Ethical Performance – including director Robin Bines, office manager Carla Thorne and editor Liz Jones – will continue to operate the business from its offices in Canterbury.
“The services offered by 3BL Media and our team at Ethical Performance are truly complementary. Both organizations are passionate about supporting our respective and mutual clients in the CR and sustainability sector,” said Liz Jones, who will work collaboratively with 3BL Media editorial director John Howell.
The Ethical Performance purchase is the first outside the US for 3BL Media, which grew through the acquisition of three platforms serving the CSR, sustainability and social entrepreneurship communities: CSRwire in 2014, SocialEarth in 2013, and JustMeans in 2011.